tmux failed and got the message: failed to connect to server: No error
Guan-Zhong Huang
2014-05-31 15:29:01 UTC
cygwin-1.7.29-2 is ok.
After updating to cygwin-1.7.30-1, I can't start tmux.

I find it is because when tmux tries to connect to the unix domain
socket that tmux server listens and tmux server hasn't started yet,
connect() fails but errno is 0, not "Connection Refused (111)". This
causes tmux to exit with error.

If you want to reproduce this bug.
tmux might work at the first time because the unix domain socket is not created.
But after that, tmux will fail due to incorrect errno.

Here's the strace I got:
cygwin-1.7.30-1:
96 1063224 [main] tmux 4072 cygwin_connect: -1 = connect(5,
0x229780, 24), errno 0
cygwin-1.7.29-2:
92 1054064 [main] tmux 3548 cygwin_connect: -1 = connect(5,
0x229780, 24), errno 111

Best regads,
Guan-Zhong
Michael Wild
2014-06-02 08:37:50 UTC
Hi Guan-Zhong

The problem is known upstream [1, 2] and I'm also trying to figure out
which change in the cygwin DLL triggered this issue. I'll post here
again once I know more.

Michael

[1] http://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/mailman/message/32396655/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/tmux/mailman/message/32400834/
--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Robert Pendell
2014-06-02 15:27:56 UTC
Post by Guan-Zhong Huang
cygwin-1.7.29-2 is ok.
After updating to cygwin-1.7.30-1, I can't start tmux.
I find it is because when tmux tries to connect to the unix domain
socket that tmux server listens and tmux server hasn't started yet,
connect() fails but errno is 0, not "Connection Refused (111)". This
causes tmux to exit with error.
If you want to reproduce this bug.
tmux might work at the first time because the unix domain socket is not created.
But after that, tmux will fail due to incorrect errno.
96 1063224 [main] tmux 4072 cygwin_connect: -1 = connect(5,
0x229780, 24), errno 0
92 1054064 [main] tmux 3548 cygwin_connect: -1 = connect(5,
0x229780, 24), errno 111
Best regads,
Guan-Zhong
I took a look and ran through some snapshots. I remembered a
discussion last month regarding the propogation of socket errors to
dup'd sockets. It seems the patch (or something commited at the same
time) broke this as on the 4/18 snapshot all works well and it breaks
on the 4/24 snapshot which is the same one that got that last bit
patched. I do not know if the patch was ever tested as the OP of that
thread never responded from what I can tell.

I tested on x86 only as my x86_64 install is running May 23rd snapshot
and for some reason trying to go to an older snapshot resulted in an
unusable install so I reinstalled my x86 one in order to test the
older snapshot releases.

Robert Pendell
A perfect world is one of chaos.
Michael Wild
2014-06-06 05:22:07 UTC
Post by Guan-Zhong Huang
[...]
Yesterday I uploaded tmux-1.9a-2 which papers over this issue:
https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2014-06/msg00018.html

Michael
Corinna Vinschen
2014-06-16 13:10:53 UTC
Post by Guan-Zhong Huang
[...]
Yes, indeed. The patch was supposed to fix the problem with the
SOL_SOCKET/SO_ERROR valus not being set when calling select on a
duplicated socket.

I just gave it a try and it turned out that the Winsock call setsockopt
sets the last WSA error code to 0 in case of success (grrr!), which I
didn't notice when applying the original patch, sorry.

I applied a patch to CVS which should fix the issue by simply calling
WSASetLastError after calling setsockopt. The original SO_ERROR
testcase still works for me, and a faild connect attempt now returns an
ECONNREFUSED as expected.

I'll generate a new snapshot later today.

Thanks,
Corinna
--
Corinna Vinschen Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Maintainer cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
Red Hat
Henry S. Thompson
2014-06-16 16:08:16 UTC
[Corinna is BACK!]
I'll generate a new snapshot later today.
Hope you had a great holiday! You were missed.

ht
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ***@inf.ed.ac.uk
Post by Henry S. Thompson
[Corinna is BACK!]
I'll generate a new snapshot later today.
Hope you had a great holiday! You were missed.
Holiday was great, thank you.

And the snapshot is up now.

Corinna
Red Hat
Robert Pendell
I just tested the 6/16 snapshot and tmux appears to be working for me now.
Michael Wild
2014-06-18 07:25:04 UTC
Post by Robert Pendell
Post by Corinna Vinschen
Post by Henry S. Thompson
[Corinna is BACK!]
I'll generate a new snapshot later today.
Hope you had a great holiday! You were missed.
Holiday was great, thank you.
And the snapshot is up now.
I just tested the 6/16 snapshot and tmux appears to be working for me now.
Which version of tmux? I uploaded 1.9a-2 with a patch recently: