unexpected high-bit set characters in $USER variable
Václav Haisman
2018-11-09 10:24:17 UTC
Hi.

I have updated Cygwin after a while and now my prompt looks like
this: \***@MACHINE. There appears to be some sort of UNICODE
character at position 0 in $USER environment variable. Running `echo -n
$USER | od -t x1` prints `0000000 ef bb bf 68 61 69 76 61 30 31`. Does
anyone else observe this as well?
--
VH

--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Brian Inglis
2018-11-09 14:43:20 UTC
Post by Václav Haisman
I have updated Cygwin after a while and now my prompt looks like
character at position 0 in $USER environment variable. Running `echo -n
$USER | od -t x1` prints `0000000 ef bb bf 68 61 69 76 61 30 31`. Does
anyone else observe this as well?
\ufeff 0xef 0xbb 0xbf is a UTF-8 Byte Order Mark which usually appears only in
UTF-8 files created by MS products. Is this set by a login script somewhere
which does a conversion from UTF-16 or to UTF-8?