out of handles
jeff kish
2018-11-21 17:05:44 UTC
Hi,

I am trying to get cygwin X-win to work with putty.
Right now the situation is:

I have a Windows 7 operating system on my laptop. On this laptop
I have an old 1.11.2 version of cygwin - when I fire up the X-Win server,
my putty can connect and run IBMIM just fine (an IBM installation app on a
target CENTOS system that uses eclipse for its interface).

I have a newer version that gets an error about not being able to get
handles:
[main] org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory
safeLogged
Application error
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]

Finally I downloaded the very latest version and had the same error...

I tried loading the libs I could find from this post, but it still fails
with the handles error.

Does anyone have any steps to fix/troubleshoot?

thanks
Jeff

--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Andrey Repin
2018-11-21 19:39:54 UTC
Greetings, jeff kish!
Post by jeff kish
I am trying to get cygwin X-win to work with putty.
I have a Windows 7 operating system on my laptop. On this laptop
I have an old 1.11.2 version of cygwin - when I fire up the X-Win server,
my putty can connect and run IBMIM just fine (an IBM installation app on a
target CENTOS system that uses eclipse for its interface).
I have a newer version that gets an error about not being able to get
[main] org.eclipse.equinox.log.internal.ExtendedLogReaderServiceFactory
safeLogged
Application error
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]
Finally I downloaded the very latest version and had the same error...
I tried loading the libs I could find from this post, but it still fails
with the handles error.
Does anyone have any steps to fix/troubleshoot?
By default, modern X servers are not configured to accept TCP connections.
You have to explicitly tell the one you are using to do so.
--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

Jeff Kish Home
2018-11-21 20:30:56 UTC
Thanks- I’ll look for those settings-
What makes you think it it a TCP/IP setting? I.e. what led your analysis to this point?

Regards
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone
Post by Andrey Repin
Greetings, jeff kish!
Marco Atzeri
2018-11-21 21:02:55 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish Home
Thanks- I’ll look for those settings-
What makes you think it it a TCP/IP setting? I.e. what led your analysis to this point?
Regards
Jeff
bottom post here, please.

Without enabling the TCP/IP setting, you can not connect;
this is the most common problem so it finish also on the FAQ

https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html
https://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-remote-clients-cant-connect

In the past the default of X server was to allow all TCP/IP connections

Regards
Marco

---