[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.4
Thomas Wolff
2018-11-10 18:11:10 UTC
I have uploaded mintty 2.9.4 with the following changes:

Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
  * Mitigate stalling on very long paste buffer lines (#810).
  * New CSI DECLL (VT100, xterm) to switch keyboard LEDs (and their
associated modifier function).
  * New CSI > 0/2 p to switch option HideMouse (xterm pointerMode).

Appearance
  * Option Background== for floating window effect (using desktop
wallpaper as background) (#18, ~#666, ~~#501).

Window handling
  * Fixed suspend-output-while-selecting buffer, size is configurable
(#816, ~#799).
  * Consider glyph width for font width determination (#808).
  * Do not start process to construct process list for exit
confirmation (~#448).
  * Enhanced taskbar icon grouping behaviour (#784, mintty/wsltty#96,
?#495, ?#420, ??#801).
  * Setting MINTTY_SHORTCUT when started from a desktop shortcut.
  * Maintain proper terminal size after DPI change in DPI awareness
mode V2 (#774).

Configuration
  * AppID supports placeholders for flexible customization of taskbar
icon grouping behaviour (#784, mintty/wsltty#96, ?#495, ?#420, ??#801).
  * Option SuspendWhileSelecting to set the max size of the
suspend-output-while-selecting buffer (#816, ~#799).

The homepage is at http://mintty.github.io/
It also links to the issue tracker.

------
Thomas

--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Achim Gratz
2018-11-12 20:06:40 UTC
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
As long as this is not opt-in this is a most unwelcome change that
breaks my workflow. I don't even know where it might have some use, but
again, if it was optional (like the "copy as richt text" thing) or had
its own shortcut keys it would do no harm at least.

Regards,
Achim.

Andrey Repin
2018-11-12 21:50:32 UTC
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no
formatting whatsoever.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...
KARL BOTTS
2018-11-12 23:29:55 UTC
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no
formatting whatsoever.
Good grief, me too! Please, plain text by default, anything else explicit opt
in, if at all!

Mintty is an ANSI terminal emulator: it needs to do that well, and that is
all. When I want VSCode, I will use that.

---
Karl Botts

Thomas Wolff
2018-11-13 08:07:47 UTC
Post by Andrey Repin
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no formatting whatsoever.
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML
source?) would appear.
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.

Thomas

---

Andrey Repin
2018-11-13 15:32:06 UTC
Thomas Wolff
2018-11-13 22:55:19 UTC
Hi Andrey,
Post by Andrey Repin
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no formatting whatsoever.
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML source?) would appear.
When I copy a text string, I fully expect it to remain a string. Formatted,
colored, but still string.
I'd interpret this to mean that the feature is welcome but its details
are not?
If you want coloured text, it needs to remain HTML format (or RTF) as
plain text is not coloured.
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
Plain text is pasted as text, that's not an issue.
But pasting into a text processor is broken.
When I copy a text from PuTTY, it is pasted as colored/formatted, but text.
Which means putty also copies something formatted, either HTML or RTF,
otherwise it wouldn't be coloured.
Post by Andrey Repin
When I copy same text from MinTTY, it is pasted as uncolored/unformatted table
with a single cell.
Uncoloured? It's the purpose of this feature to copy attributes through
the clipboard and it works in all my tests.
Which application pastes it without colours?
The table is another thing, I acknowledge this can be disturbing. The
purpose was an easy way to include an optional transparent image
background in the clipboard. I'll tweak the HTML output to do without it
by default, or maybe always if I can attach the image to a <div>.

Thomas

Andrey Repin
2018-11-13 23:03:12 UTC
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Terminal features
  * Copy as HTML (#811).
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no formatting whatsoever.
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML source?) would appear.
When I copy a text string, I fully expect it to remain a string. Formatted,
colored, but still string.
I'd interpret this to mean that the feature is welcome but its details
are not?
If you want coloured text, it needs to remain HTML format (or RTF) as
plain text is not coloured.
Yes.
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
Plain text is pasted as text, that's not an issue.
But pasting into a text processor is broken.
When I copy a text from PuTTY, it is pasted as colored/formatted, but text.
Which means putty also copies something formatted, either HTML or RTF,
otherwise it wouldn't be coloured.
PuTTY uses RTF in addition to plain text, if "copy as rich text" is enabled.
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
When I copy same text from MinTTY, it is pasted as uncolored/unformatted table
with a single cell.
Uncoloured? It's the purpose of this feature to copy attributes through
the clipboard and it works in all my tests.
Which application pastes it without colours?
OpenOffice for one. I intend to check with MS Office, once I have access to
one.
Post by Thomas Wolff
The table is another thing, I acknowledge this can be disturbing. The
purpose was an easy way to include an optional transparent image
background in the clipboard. I'll tweak the HTML output to do without it
by default, or maybe always if I can attach the image to a <div>.
I think you're stretching yourself out of intended purpose of the feature.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Thomas Wolff
2018-11-13 23:16:45 UTC
Post by Andrey Repin
Greetings, Thomas Wolff!
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Andrey Repin
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by Thomas Wolff
The table is another thing, I acknowledge this can be disturbing. The
purpose was an easy way to include an optional transparent image
background in the clipboard. I'll tweak the HTML output to do without it
by default, or maybe always if I can attach the image to a <div>.
I think you're stretching yourself out of intended purpose of the feature.
Haha, yes. But once I started implementing the feature it was a
challenge to make the appearance as close to the original as possible
(with a much better result than xterm, actually), and it was fun to even
include the background image (only in the HTML Screen Dump from the
context menu, when nothing is selected). That's how the unwelcome

Andy Hall
2018-11-13 17:52:02 UTC
I should agree with Achim. This feature is utterly broken.
Copied fragments are inserted as HTML TABLES(of all the things!) with no formatting whatsoever.
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML
source?) would appear.
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
For what it's worth, I tried some simple examples.

Copy and paste into notepad, notepad++ or another mintty window resulted in plain text being copied.

Paste into MS Word 2016 gives you three options: "Keep Source Formatting", "Merge Formatting" and "Keep Text Only". If I selected "Keep Source Formatting", the result is a single cell table containing the text copied. The other options resulted in plain text being copied. The former is actually useful if you happen to be writing documentation about how to do something at the command line level, but there are flaws. In my case, the inserted table had a black background and white test and it was not easy to change this.

Achim Gratz
2018-11-13 18:31:23 UTC
Post by Thomas Wolff
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML
source?) would appear.
I commonly paste things from MinTTY into our Wiki editor (in the
browser), which choses the advertised HTML as the "obviously better" and
then screws up royally since for whatever unfathomable reason it gets
the text wrapped in an HTML table. I'd have to switch to source view to
erase the markup I didn't even want in the first place. So at the
moment I paste into Emacs (which uses the text selection), re-select it
there and then paste it back into the Wiki as text.

Whatever you'd think of "rich text conveyed as HTML", a HTML table is
certainly not the right thing to use in any case. HTML actually is an
anathema for visual formatting if the goal was to have the pasted stuff
look like it did in the terminal window.
Post by Thomas Wolff
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
There are many applications that simply don't give you the option to
chose from such multi-typed selections (which makes it even more
important that the application capable of producing them can be
configured). In fact, the only ones I know of are MS Office and then
they don't always give you that choice in an unobtrusive or convenient
way and sometimes not at all depending on context.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

Lemke, Michael ST/HZA-ZIC2
2018-11-13 18:37:34 UTC
Post by Achim Gratz
Post by Thomas Wolff
OK, it shall be made configurable. But please describe in which ways
workflows are broken and how / in which application HTML tables (HTML
source?) would appear.
I commonly paste things from MinTTY into our Wiki editor (in the
browser), which choses the advertised HTML as the "obviously better" and
then screws up royally since for whatever unfathomable reason it gets
the text wrapped in an HTML table. I'd have to switch to source view to
erase the markup I didn't even want in the first place. So at the
moment I paste into Emacs (which uses the text selection), re-select it
there and then paste it back into the Wiki as text.
My workaround for such junk is

$ getclip | putclip

in some mintty window.

Brian Inglis
2018-11-13 21:16:40 UTC
Post by Thomas Wolff
Of course plain text clipboard format is still supplied (multiple
formats can be copied to the Windows clipboard at the same time,
otherwise I wouldn't have enabled this by default), and the assumption
was that an application pasting plain text from the Windows clipboard
would still retrieve that.
There are many applications that simply don't give you the option to
chose from such multi-typed selections (which makes it even more
important that the application capable of producing them can be
configured). In fact, the only ones I know of are MS Office and then
they don't always give you that choice in an unobtrusive or convenient
way and sometimes not at all depending on context.
If you insist on pasting HTML, please enclose each clip in <pre> preformatted
text tags, with symbolic character entities for &, <, >, and numeric character
entities for non-ASCII UTF-8 characters, output enclosed in <samp> sample output
font and colour effects.

Using <table> and related tags is unlikely to produce the expected results in
any paste target (e.g. Android, Google, iOS, Libre, MS, Open, OSX Office) app or
browser.

If would be great if you could intercept all screenshot attempts and generate
HTML instead, as most screenshot pastes (or worse, videos) show huge windows
with little useful content in tiny unreadable fonts, and little context to
explain relevant content e.g. on github mintty project issues ;^>

Brian Inglis
2018-11-14 14:59:45 UTC
Post by Brian Inglis
Post by Achim Gratz
There are many applications that simply don't give you the option to
chose from such multi-typed selections (which makes it even more
important that the application capable of producing them can be
configured).  In fact, the only ones I know of are MS Office and then
they don't always give you that choice in an unobtrusive or convenient
way and sometimes not at all depending on context.
If you insist on pasting HTML, please enclose each clip in <pre> preformatted
text tags, with symbolic character entities for &, <, >, and numeric character
entities for non-ASCII UTF-8 characters, output enclosed in <samp> sample output
font and colour effects.
Bold is represented as class=bd, like in xterm-generated HTML. <pre> is used
globally, <class> vs. <style> is a matter of taste to some extent, I was
following xterm here. Why <samp> or <kbd>, I don't see, and what's "input" after
it's been echoed to a terminal screen?
Classes may not have consistent or any defaults across apps and browsers.
OpenOffice Paste Special C-S-v offers me all four formats (plain text, RTF,
HTML, HTML no comments) but the content appears to be the same with only pre
and table formats, no attributes in any formatting.
Does mintty being run under X make any difference to e.g. colour attributes?

Mintty knows the difference between typed and echoed input and generated output,
so can appropriately tag content: if it's not echoed input, it's output.
There is an initial meta charset=UTF-8, so the encoding should be fine, and
clearly readable rather than cryptic entities.
Post by Brian Inglis
If would be great if you could intercept all screenshot attempts and generate
HTML instead, as most screenshot pastes (or worse, videos) show huge windows
with little useful content in tiny unreadable fonts, and little context to
explain relevant content e.g. on github mintty project issues ;^>
By intercept screen attempts you mean the Alt+PrtScrn key event? Mintty could
easily generate HTML additionally in that case, better not instead.
That may be a matter of opinion, but agreed!