Tools can't find ncurses
w***@gmail.com
2013-09-14 15:15:48 UTC
VERS: orpie-1.5.1.

./configure --with-ncurses

checking for working ncurses... no
configure: error: Cannot find a curses library. Perhaps you failed to install an ncurses development package?

But I do have ncurses as the result from cygcheck shows below:
ls /bin/*ncurses*
/bin/cygncurses++-10.dll /bin/cygncurses7.dll /bin/ncurses6-config
/bin/cygncurses++-8.dll /bin/cygncurses-8.dll /bin/ncursesw5-config
/bin/cygncurses++-9.dll /bin/cygncurses-9.dll /bin/ncursesw6-config
/bin/cygncurses++w-10.dll /bin/cygncursesw-10.dll
/bin/cygncurses-10.dll /bin/ncurses5-config

and cygcheck displays:
x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
x86/libncurses10/libncurses10-5.7-18
x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4
x86/libncurses7/libncurses7-5.3-4-src
x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10
x86/libncurses8/libncurses8-5.5-10-src
x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16
x86/libncurses9/libncurses9-5.7-16-src
x86/libncursesw-devel/libncursesw-devel-5.7-18
x86/libncursesw10/libncursesw10-5.7-18

I realize that there is an Orpie already in cygwin's repository, but I need to build it, as I am adding new functionality to it and want to extend it.

If anyone knows why the build tools/scripts can not find the ncurses library and how I can patch it, please let know.

Regards
Thomas Wolff
2013-09-14 21:48:37 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
VERS: orpie-1.5.1.
./configure --with-ncurses
checking for working ncurses... no
configure: error: Cannot find a curses library. Perhaps you failed to install an ncurses development package?
The files you quoted are the runtime libraries. "ncurses development
package" addresses /usr/lib/ncurses.h which is usually included during
build.
Use setup to install ncurses-devel.
--
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
FAQ: http://cygwin.com/faq/
Warren Young
2013-09-16 23:24:47 UTC
Post by Thomas Wolff
Post by w***@gmail.com
checking for working ncurses... no
configure: error: Cannot find a curses library. Perhaps you failed to
install an ncurses development package?
You may be able to dig more details out of config.log. It'll be
thousands of lines long, and the error is rarely right at the end. So,
look for something like "-lncurses" or "curses.h". The helpful bits in
that file will be nearby. (And not necessarily *after* the matching line!)

You're looking for the test program source emitted by the configure
script and the errors your compiler gave when trying to compile it.
Post by w***@gmail.com
x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
So, since the development package does seem to be installed, what does
"cygcheck -c libncurses-devel" say?
Thomas Wolff
2013-09-17 06:35:37 UTC
Post by Warren Young
Post by w***@gmail.com
x86/libncurses-devel/libncurses-devel-5.7-18
So, since the development package does seem to be installed, what does
"cygcheck -c libncurses-devel" say?
Oh, I overlooked that one, as it starts with "lib" - I don't understand
that output format of cygcheck, actually.

Another issue comes to my mind: cygwin (like some Linux distributions)
does not provide ncurses.h in /usr/include anymore but hides it in
/usr/include/ncurses and /usr/include/ncursesw. This may likely be the
problem; traditional packages don't find it there.
Thomas
w***@gmail.com
2013-09-17 08:13:44 UTC
I had the same problem with ncurses, and in the config.log file found out that the ncurses.h was not being found.

I manually changed the configure script line
#include <ncurses.h> to ---> #include <ncurses/ncurses.h>

and configure got past that.

The next and what I expect to be the last configure error is now related to the Gnu Scientific Library (GSL)

configure can't find gsl-config and indeed there is not any.
and there is no gls-dev package on the cygwin site.

Is this an oversite? Or is there a gsl-dev development package and a gsl-cofig program in a pklace I can't find on the cygwin package repository?

Thanks
Post by Thomas Wolff
Warren Young
2013-09-17 13:38:07 UTC
Post by w***@gmail.com
there is no gls-dev package on the cygwin site.
Run Cygwin's setup*.exe, then in the Search box on the Select Packages
screen, type "gsl". That will narrow the list of top-level categories
to Debug, Devel, and Libs. Open Devel, and notice that one of the few
options remaining is gsl-devel.

Cygwin doesn't use -dev as a package suffix. It's always -devel.